Topband: A New Start

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: A New Start
From: rmread at attglobal.net (R Marshall-Read)
Date: Sat Feb 1 06:44:50 2003
Having given up on the key click issue as not "winnable" and most stations
that I give a 599X report asking what that means, it's off to the new
battle!

Most of the DX that has been on recently has already worked, so now QRP is
the next big challenge.  In two nights/early mornings the total is 17
countries, including some very good QSO's to VE and W with 5 to 10 watts to
the big vertical (85 feet up on a calm night, the balloons and kites don't
like ice build-up too much so the fixed antenna is in use).

I have found this is sort of like a contest, you need everything and
everybody as you start over again.  If you hear (or almost hear) G4VGO/QRP,
please remember that this QRP newbie is in a garage in the East of England,
no heat (snow storms and minus temps make the  fingers stiff so the CW won't
improve until spring) trying to work a hundred countries before the season
ends.

On the click issue, several EU stations have emailed to say that the EMC
regs can be used after all to get the manufacturer to fix the problem and I
am working on that.

73

Bob G4VGO