Topband: JT1CO and topband propagation

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: JT1CO and topband propagation
From: jon.zaimes at dol.net (Jon Zaimes AA1K)
Date: Mon Feb 3 11:41:22 2003
Interesting analysis and darkness map Bill. Congrats on your last zone too!

I was hearing Chak for about 25 minutes here, peaking on the 205-degree,
500-ft. single-wire Beverage. He was 559 when we first heard him CQing at 1127z
and you could probably hear me yell all the way down in North Carolina when he
came right back on my first call (my last zone and no. 281).

We could also copy him OK on the 245-degree, 570-foot single wire. I had the
preamp running but could copy him OK without it on either Beverage. I could
just hear him above the noise on the vertical. His signal held fairly steady
for the first 10 minutes or so and then gradually started dropping, finally out
of the picture at 1152z. Others were still hearing him after then -- I recall
K4CIA and K3UL were in there calling.

My sunrise was 1206z today, and 5 minutes later Chak suddenly came through
CQing from the NW! I was hearing him only on the new phased pair of 935-foot
Beverages at 320-degrees and he very weak -- nothing at all then from the SSW
or on the 342-degree wires. A few minutes later he moved up to 80 meters, where
he was peaking on the 205-degree wire again and about as strong as he had been
when first heard on Top Band 45 minutes earlier.

What a wonderful morning of propagation! A season of sleepless sunrises finally
pays off. I tried getting back to sleep but no way, I'm too wound up!

While AH3D had a good signal from 1100z through our sunrise, we heard no other
DX on the band this morning.

73/Jon AA1K