Topband: A Few Beverage Questions

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: A Few Beverage Questions
From: herbs at vitelcom.net (Herb Schoenbohm)
Date: Mon Feb 10 05:39:46 2003
Dear Fellow TopBander,

I am seeking advice on 160 meter Beverage placement and do not recall
these questions in recent archives as being disposed of.  Please let me
know what your experience on this has been.

I am presently using three Beverages, two terminated and one
unterminated.  They appear to be working well and on so many occasion
are the difference between working or not working some great DX.  I am
planning two more including a SSW Beverage to try an see what long path
is possible this way. ( XZ0A, who only came in from the SE during that
operation, made me a believer in the importance of skewed path
propagation.) So my next run will be 210 to 220 degrees even though I
presently have a 500 foot terminate Beverage running at 255 degrees.
 My question is this:

1) What is the drawback, if any, for having a the wire of one Beverage
cross over another?  (In my case the cross over is in the first 200 foot
of my east running Beverage.)

2) Are there any problems created by using a central  Beverage dispatch
point  with a common ground system for Beverages running out in several
different directions?  (This assumes each are fed with a proper
transformer with common mode isolation.  In my case the common point
consists of a 20 foot section of Rohn 55 which makes a stable support
and allows sufficient elevation above a close by field trail
occasionally used by a farmer on the adjacent hay field.  The average
height of most of the Beverages are 3 to 4 feet above ground.  I just
acquired 1000' of RG-6U but reinstalling is going to be time consuming
and may not be worth the effort.  That is what I need to know.

3) Would there be any significant unwanted pattern deterioration or
cancellation of desired directivity by connecting the planned 210 degree
Beverage and the 255 degree Beverage to the same transformer connection
point? A broader pattern would not be a problem.

I would appreciate any comments on these items.

Herb, KV4FZ
St. Croix