Topband: Receiving

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Receiving
From: k7rx at attbi.com (Kevin Nathan)
Date: Mon Feb 24 06:16:00 2003
Hello All,

I would like to ask for some opinions regarding receiving antennas.  I
currently have a shielded loop for 160 which seems to work pretty well for
local stations and does reduce noise but during the contest I was unable to
hear a lot of Midwestern or eastern stations on it.  I have an article on
the K9AY terminated loop and this does appeal.  However, in his article, he
does not speak to its ability to eliminate local noise and mainly addresses
the gain for directional reception.  Can someone on the list tell me about
its performance in eliminating local noise?  Or, what kind of antenna you
might recommend for more omni directional reception but low noise?

Thanks much and very 73.

Kevin, K7RX :)