Topband: preamps homemade ...

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: preamps homemade ...
From: richard at karlquist.com (Richard Karlquist)
Date: Sun May 4 19:59:47 2003
> From: K9AY [mailto:k9ay@k9ay.com]
>
> > The Anzac AM(C)-132 and AM(C)-134 amplifiers have 3OI of +49 dBm with a
> > power
> > dissipation of 2.6W.
> > Rick N6RK
>
> With a dissipation of just 2.6W, I suspect that these units
> either (a) have
> feed-forward or other linearization schemes, or (b) are spec'd for Output
> Intercept Point (OIP3), which must be reduced by the gain of the amplifier
> to get Input Intercept (IIP3), a more meaningful specification.

Right on both counts.  The Anzac catalog specifically states
that 30I is referred to the output.  That makes sense in
light of the fact that the 3OI's of the two amplifiers I
mentioned are about the same, even though the latter has
5 dB more gain.  So reduce the 3OI numbers by 10 and 15 dB respectively
to get input numbers.

These (and many other) Anzac amplifiers have transformer coupled lossless
feedback per US Patent 3,624,536, which shows 2N5109 transistors.

Rick N6RK