Topband: Re: 160 Meters Mobile Antennas

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re: 160 Meters Mobile Antennas
From: k3ky at erols.com (David Sinclair)
Date: Wed May 14 06:28:25 2003

From:                   W9UCW@aol.com
Date sent:              Sun, 11 May 2003 01:23:27 EDT
To:                     topband@contesting.com
Copies to:              les@highnoonfilm.com

> Hi Les & Others,
(snip)
> On the "Q" question, the
> comparison was between similarly laid out center/top loaded antennas.  One
> had a big open wound, heavy wire, spaced turn coil with a 8" diameter and a
> 1:1 length/diameter ratio.  The other had a 1" diameter close wound coil on a
> PVC form using #20 wire.  The length/diameter ratio was over 20:1.  It was
> covered with shrink tubing.
>
> The measured worst case scenario (of any HF band) was on 160.  The difference
> was .3db.  That's 3 tenths.  We were all shocked and immediately agreed that
> the test had to be flawed...even those of us that thought the LO-Q coil was a
> better deal.  It just couldn't be that close.
>
> That test was modified and tried over and over.  I know of 5 more run between
> 1972 and 1992....all with the same results.
(snip)
> 73's Barry, W9UCW

This is most amusing, as the second coil being described sounds
like it should be more lossy, and it sounds somewhat like one of
those often-maligned Hustler resonators. The outer layer of
heat-shrink tubing is a dead giveaway.  :o)

Truly amazing if the difference was only 0.3dB. I would not have
expected that result.  :o)    73, David K3KY