Topband: Orion Key Click Test

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Orion Key Click Test
From: k6se at juno.com (k6se@juno.com)
Date: Sun May 25 17:16:07 2003
I just checked the CW bandwidth of my new Ten-Tec Orion.  I set up my
FT-1000MP with its narrowest CW filters (250 & 125 Hz) selected and sent
a string of dits from the Orion.  With the Orion's CW rise/fall timne set
to the factory default of 5mS and the signal strength adjusted so that
the MP's S-meter indicated S-9, no key clicks were heard at +/-300Hz of
the transmitted signal.  At a rise time of 4mS and 3mS, there was just a
bare trace of clicks at +/-300Hz.  The Orion appears to be click free.
Softer keying would be even better (the CW rise/fall time can be adjusted
by the user in the menu from 3 to 10mS in 1mS increments).

This compares with the FT-1000MP/Mk V/Field (non-click modified) at more
than +/-2.1kHz and the Elecraft K2 at more than +/-1kHz.

73, de Earl, K6SE