Topband: Biggest 160m antenna in the Southern Hemisphere?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Biggest 160m antenna in the Southern Hemisphere?
From: sire at iinet.net.au (Steve Ireland)
Date: Sat Jun 7 22:09:04 2003
G'day all

For those familiar with those of us who live in Australia, we are very fond
of anything that can be called "the largest (whatever) in the Southern
Hemisphere".  Being so far away from anywhere, we like to have some
importance on the world stage - even if it is only in the size of our local
shopping centre.

At VK6VZ, I have just put up a 2-element delta loop array.  This is based
on the A45ZZ/G3LNP idea from RadCom magazine in December 1993 and has four
switchable patterns - omni, figure 8, north (cardioid) and south
(cardioid).  The 'critically coupled' antenna is still in the early stages
(need to sort out the matching with a couple of 75 ohm quarter wave stubs),
but it shows definite patterns, and a 20dB-plus front-to-back ratio and a
few dB of gain on the cardioid configurations (these are ballpark - haven't
done exact measurements yet).

The vertically polarised-ish antenna is absolutely outrageous for a
half-acre lot and only just fits in, but seems to work.  Even if I go back
to the old inverted vee, I will go to my grave safe in the knowledge that
no one has ever before put up so much wire in such a small space (in the
southern hemisphere).

I just wanted to share that with you all...

Vy 73,

Steve, VK6VZ