Topband: 160/80 antenna

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160/80 antenna
From: richard at karlquist.com (Richard Karlquist)
Date: Thu Aug 7 05:29:33 2003
> site this year I would like to use 67 feet of  aluminum tubing in
> stock to create an 80 meter vertical, place a trap at the top and
> go horizontal to make it down to 160. Is this practical and does
> anyone have ideas on constructing the trap ??
> Ed Smith W4EDS

You don't need a trap.  If you top load the vertical so
it is resonant on 160 as a current fed antenna, it will
also be resonant on 80 as a voltage fed antenna.  You can band
switch at the ground.  The advantage of this is that the
bandwidth will be wider, and you don't have to fool with
a trap.  I am currently doing this with my 90 foot top loaded vertical.

Rick N6Rk