Topband: How to File BPL Comments with the FCC

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: How to File BPL Comments with the FCC
From: W4EF at dellroy.com (Michael Tope)
Date: Thu Aug 7 15:55:23 2003
A good example of a "target" for reply comments are the
United Power Line Council (UPLC) comments.

http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/retrieve.cgi?native_or_pdf=pdf&id_docum
ent=6514284754

In their comments they state the following:

"The UPLC is pleased to respond that there has
been no interference reported in any of the
field trials by its members. These trials
have been conducted in accordance with the
existing Part 15 limits and measurement
procedures. In many cases, the FCC has assisted
in the test measurements that have been taken.
The experience gained from this process
indicates that BPL systems comply with the
Part 15 limits, and that the existing rules
protect licensed users against interference
from BPL systems.  If anything, the existing
rules may be too stringent and unnecessarily
limit the range of BPL, but certainly the
emission limits do not need to be reduced to
prevent interference. "

The experience of the ARRL folks at BPL field trial sites
is in direct contradiction to this statement (and of course
so are the laws of physics). Additional evidence of high
levels of interference have been documented in Europe.
Diethard Hansen's 2 part article in Compliance Engineering
Magazine provides a good primer on the European situation:

http://www.ce-mag.com/archive/03/ARG/hansen1.html

http://www.ce-mag.com/archive/03/ARG/hansen2.html

There is also a lot of links to examples of good reply
comments imbedded in the BPL thread on QRZ.com
(go to the homepage and scroll down about a page
length).

Fire away folks!

73 de Mike, W4EF