RE: Topband: T loaded vertical

To: "rmf01" <rmf01@comcast.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: Topband: T loaded vertical
From: "Tod - Idaho" <tao@skypoint.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 14:25:33 -0500
ground losses or making matching easier.

I have found that using a 55 foot radiator and a 45 foot L will produce
about 12 +/-j ohms at the feed point on 160 meters. That reading includes
resistance attributable to the ground resistance (maybe most of it is ground
resistance, I don't know) ( I am assuming that you have some sort of radial
system at the feed point ).

I have just finished modifying a HyTower to make it continuous from top to
bottom (connected stinger to tower at top of tower) and hung a 45 foot wire
from the top of the stinger toward another tall support (tree). My
measurements with a GenRad 1606A RF Bridge gave R readings on 160 on the
order of 12 ohms. The X readings were negative (as expected). I used a
series inductor to get X=0 ohms at about 1.825 MHz. Then I wound a 1:4 unun
(see Sevick's books) on a ferrite rod. The series inductor goes to the low
impedance input of the 1:4 unun and the output is about 55 ohms. The result
was a very flat VSWR curve across the low end of 160 meters. When I did the
matching with an LC network (or tuner) I had to make adjustments every 15
kHz or less to please the transmitter.

Tod, KØTO