Re: Topband: BPL & Ambient Corp.

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: BPL & Ambient Corp.
From: "Ford Peterson" <ford@cmgate.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 23:10:35 -0500
I'm not convinced that Ambient's new license is all "bad."  Why?  Because
the field trials that are out there now seem to be devoid of real testing.
Are there no hams in the neighborhoods where testing is currently in
progress?  Then why aren't the hams in those neighborhoods screaming at the
top of their lungs to the customer service people at the utility, the FCC,
and who ever else may care?  If there were hams in the shadow of BPL today,
and BPL causes interference, then there would be LOTS of complaints.  The
current test sites appear to have been hand picked to minimize complaints.

If there are hams in to testing neighborhoods, and BPL is causing them
troubles, then the have to complain every day through whatever means they
can.

Of course, then there is the article in today's paper about Powell
testifying before Congress yesterday about why the FCC isn't fielding
complaints about the new national "Do Not Call" list, which is broken beyond
repair due to overload.  If that system is broken, then what about RF
complaints?

The beaurocrats will only listen when the "little" people are being hurt.
The way I see it, somebody's going to have to start hurtin' or else this new
technology is going to roll out in a big way.

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com