Re: Topband: Ed Edwards, WA4SGF

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Ed Edwards, WA4SGF
From: Steve Ireland <sire@iinet.net.au>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 19:00:02 +0800
VK6VZ replied:

When I read the postings about WA4SGF, I thought it rang a very distant
bell.  Looking back through my schoolboy SWL logbook from 1969/1970, I
found the following entry:

Freq: 1801 (or thereabouts) WA4SGF 10 Jan 1970 0515 (Z time, I think)
RST579, in QSO with an OK station.

The conditions were very good that morning, because also in the log are
W3GM, W3HRW, K8BBI, W8AH, W8JIN, W8ANO and W0NFL (the latter was my best
ever DX on 160m as a 15-year old SWL, living in the United Kingdom).

However, Eddie's signal was as loud as the two W3s - good going for his
set-up (and mine), I guess.

At my end, there was a National HRO MX, plus 67' of steel garden wire as
the antenna, wrapped around the loft of my parent's house.

Those were the days.

Vy 73

Steve, VK6VZ/ex-G3ZZD/SWL A7054