Re: Topband: Tower Question

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Tower Question
From: Jon Zaimes AA1K <jz73@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 01:24:27 -0400
I use similar coils on my series-fed 160-meter Rohn 25 tower. But mine are
wound on 6-inch PVC forms, close wound, with about 75 feet of 3/8 inch hardline
in the chokes for the 2-meter and 220-mHz packet cluster antennas. About 100
feet of coax or hardline (can't recall which) for the 6-meter beam, also close
wound. For the rotor cable, I just wound about 100 feet of the cable on one of
the PVC forms (it's an HD-73 Alliance rotator). I do not bond the grounds to
the tower, nor to ground on the other side, on the coax or the rotor cable.
Have had no problems with the rotor.

Got this idea a few years ago after seeing photos of W8JI's chokes at one of
his Dayton talks.

73/Jon AA1K