Re: Topband: impedance transformer windings

To: "Steve Flood" <flood@ixi.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: impedance transformer windings
From: amdx@att.net
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 01:07:46 +0000
  Hi Steve,
  Someone once decreed, "the reactance of the windings should be at least
four times the impedance the winding is designed to look into." So if you
have a 950 impedance, 4x950=3800 ohms of reactance. Using 1.8Mhz as your
minimum frequency, the inductance would need to be L = 3800 / 2 x pi x 1.8Mhz.
So L= .000336 henrys or .336mh.
  To find the number of turns the formula is N=1000(sqrt(L in mh/A sub L))
Or N=1000(sqrt(.336/8500))= 6.28 turns on the primary.
To find the number of turns on the secondary use Np/Ns = sqrt(Zp/Zs)
or Np/Ns = sqrt(950/50) = 4.36, this is the ratio of primary to secondary
turns. So Np/Ns = 4.36 or Ns = 6.28/4.36 = 1.44 turns on the secondary.

(NOTE) Np=number of turns on the primary, Ns= number of turns on the secondary
Zp=impedance of primary, Zs= impedance of secondary

 So now we have 6.28 turn pri and 1.44 turn secondary, not good,
I would try a 9 turn pri and 2 turn secondary this is a ratio of 4.5 close to
the 4.36 we calculated.
 I have used a 13 turn primary and 3 turn secondary with a gapped pot core,
I gapped the pot core to give me the desired primary reactance. This was used
mostly in the MW BCB.

                              Mike