Re: Topband: Ground Radials

To: "Fred Cresce" <fcresce@comcast.net>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Ground Radials
From: Jon Zaimes AA1K <jz73@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 10:28:05 -0500
Hi Fred,

A long time ago at a QTH not too far away, I had a 100-ft shunt-fed tower for
160 in the middle of a large yard. I buried 200 radials that were 70 feet long
on the north and south sides, 136 feet on th east and west sides. To bury, I
attached the wire to a screwdriver in the ground at the base of the tower, and
to another at the outter end of the wire. The wire was pulled tight. Then I
used a garden spade to go along the wire and cut a slit about an inch or so
deep the full length of the wire. Then I went along with a flat screwdriver and
pushed the wire into the slit. The wire I used varied from some no. 18 enameled
to assorted sizes of insulated wire (no 26 to no. 12) to old RG6 pulled from
the dumpster at the local CATV outlet. Before burying the radials I would mow
the grass to the lowest setting on the mower.

This concealed the wires nicely and I was able to mow over them with no
problem. We even turned this part of the yard into the pasture for a couple of
years and had a horse grazing there, without any peril to the radials.

More recently, at my current QTH, when it came time to put down a new radial
field six years ago I decided to use a bit less effort. This is actually a grid
for a K3LR-style parasitic array, with the center element and four parasitic
elements spaced around the tower -- 120 radials around each element for a total
of 600 radials bonded at the midpoints. I used no. 12 THHN stranded, insulated
wire (scrounged from local scrap yard) and a few of no. 18 enameled wire. After
mowing the area at the lowest setting, the wires were simply laid on the
ground. I started this project in October and stopped when the first snow
covered the ground in January. I used some j-shaped aluminum staples from the
fenciing section of the local farm supply store to hold the wire down at just a
few stubborn spots, but for the most part they just laid flat without any
staples.

In the past six years I have probably nipped a dozen or so of these radials
while mowing -- usually when there was a problem with the mower deck causing it
to dig into the ground. The wires have pretty much worked themselves into the
ground, or at least the grass has grown around them to conceal them. There are
a few spots where the ground was hard and they are still visible on the surface.

Much of this radial field goes through woods. The center element is in the
midst of a small grove of loblolly pine trees. In this area, I simply raked the
pine needles aside, laid down the radials, then covered back over with the
needles. I don't mow this area, but if I wanted to I"d just use a weed wacker
so as not to disturb the needles. Others go through woods which are a mix of
hardwoods and loblolly pines -- so lots of maple, oak and other leaves on the
ground in addition to pine needles. These wire either were "snaked" through the
leaves by using a piece of 10-ft. tubing -- which also helped to get through
areas with thick underbrush -- or by raking the leaves aside and then covering
the radial.

Chicken screen -- even galvanized -- will corrode away in just a few years. I
used some in a dog pen around the same time I put down the radial field -- to
keep the dog from digging out -- and recently tried to find the screen but
couldn't come up with any of it. This after just six years.

Others have written about using mechanical lawn edgers to cut slits for burying
radials, and pulling a plow behind a lawn  tractor to do the same (ON4UN's book
has a photo of this). Check the archives.

73/Jon AA1K
Felton, Delaware