Topband: 2-wire Beverage

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: 2-wire Beverage
From: Ron Feutz <feutz@wctc.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 11:39:33 -0600
Topbanders,

I am building a 2-wire Beverage per ON4UN book and using K1FZ transformer/termination boxes.

Antenna wire is 300 ohm ladder line from Wireman. Feed line is RG58. Feed line length should be <1/2^.

Antenna length will be in the ON4UN "cone of silence" range for 1^.

There will be 100 Wireman beads at the feed point on both coaxes (following the feed point ground rod) with the feed line shields grounded again (I plan to use a common ground rods for both lines) 5 meters down the line, per ON4UN, followed by another 100 beads.

ON4UN is unclear whether the second set of beads should immediately follow the ground point, or should they be at the shack end (where I will install a second ground rod, independent of the main shack ground system, again per ON4UN).

Will I need to terminate the unused feed line with 50 ohms or can it just float?

Are there any other tricks I should be doing to ensure balance in the antenna, minimize feed line pickup, and maximize F/B in both directions (I won't have time to play with termination impedances for now)?

Please reply if you know that I am doing something wrong here, or if you have suggestions for improvement. Comments on other configurations, transformers, antenna wire, etc, will not be helpful at this time, as I am going to build this antenna tomorrow using what I have.

73,

Ron - WA9IRV