Topband: FT1000D APF mod experience.

To: <YAESU@mailman.qth.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: FT1000D APF mod experience.
From: "Richard Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 21:29:11 -0800
I just finishing operating in the ARRL 160 meter
contest with my FT1000D.  I have 250 Hz and 500
Hz INRAD filters in the 455 kHz IF, and Yaesu
250 and 500 Hz filters in the 8 MHz. IF.  I
also have the K1ZM APF modification.  It makes
signals pop out of the noise like magic, yet the
ringing is tolerable.  Although the INRAD filters
are excellent, I have been spoiled by the modified APF.
Now that I am used to the APF, the 250 Hz filter
position without APF seems like it's almost wide enough
for SSB, and the 500 Hz position seems positively
broad as a barn door.  If you have an FT1000D,
and do weak signal CW work, I would highly
encourage you to try this mod.  BTW, I never used
the original APF much because it was fairly ineffective.

Rick N6RK