Topband: Re:1. Topband from Uganda last night. 5X1X - Comment fromS9SS

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Re:1. Topband from Uganda last night. 5X1X - Comment fromS9SS
From: charles Lewis <s9ss160m@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 03:24:05 -0800 (PST)
This (see below) has been my observation also over
here on the Equator, like Uganda, in Sao Tome  I have
made the bulk of my contacts with the US (including
during my previous years as S92SS in '92-'97) in the
same general time frame that Terry cites.  In my case,
I would say around 2300 to 0200 UTC. I have never
found the period around my sunrise to be very
productive.  It must be one of those Equatorial
propagation anomalies.

BTW, the only stations I was able to strain from the
very high QRN here during the ARRL 160 M Contest last
weekend were W2GD, K9DX and NO2R.  It took a very long
period of listening to piece each of those call signs
together.  I hardly detected any other signals in the
noise.  W2GD was very difficult copy, but was
generally the strongest of the three.  This was in the
period of around 0030 to 0145 UTC Sunday morning.

Last night, the noise was down slightly.  I worked 21
Europeans but couldn't stay up late enough on a week
night to try for US stations.  I'll try it every
Friday and Saturday when possible.

If anyone cares to see some photos of mine from around
Sao Tome, check out the Sao Tome photo album I have
placed under "Pictures" at http://groups.msn.com/s9ss
.

73,
Charles - S9SS