Topband: FW: temporary antenna

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: FW: temporary antenna
From: "R. Earle Sanders" <nt7y@xmission.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 22:42:38 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: R. Earle Sanders [mailto:nt7y@xmission.com]
Sent: Sunday, December 14, 2003 4:51 PM
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: temporary antenna

my 160 and 75 vertical crashed on thanksgiving day.  it was sitting on top
of a great radial field of 100 radials.  i have cleared away the wreckage
and am now faced with the problem of putting up a temporary replacement.  My
thoughts have boiled down to 2 solutions.  which do you guys think best.
these solutions take into account that the project will have to be done
inbetween storms in stinky cold weather(snow, ice and wind).

both solutions start where the old vertical stood and where there is still a
buried feedline and ground attatchments.

        1.  i connect a wire at ground level and run it (sloping up) toward
the top of my 100 foot tower.  I could put a trap half way so the bottom
part worked on 75m and the total worked on 160m(about 133 feet).  the top
half would be attatched through an insulator to a rope and pulled into
position.  I estimate that the insulator going to the tower would be about
70 feet agl.  This would be the simplest to install.

       2.  Same as #1 with the exception at the feedline attatchment point I
would dig a hole for a pine pole and run the wire vertically for the length
of the pine pole before starting the horizontal slope up to the tower .  The
basic difference would be the immediate vertical  rise of approx 15 to 20
feet versus the slope from the ground up to about 70 feet agl going to the
tower.
 this is not what i want permanently but am looking for a solution to get me
back on the two low bands as quickly as possible for the rest of the 160 and
75 operation still available this season.

come the warm weather i can take more time outside and work out a permanet
solution.

NT7Y,
earle