Re: Topband: 160 Meter BALUNS

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 Meter BALUNS
From: "i4jmy@iol.it" <i4jmy@iol.it>(by way of Bill Tippett<btippett@alum.mit.edu>)
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 06:34:53 -0500
Thanks to Bill post it occurred to me that's worth to point out that power rating of classical balun decreases dramatically in case of high SWR. I've seen a number of commercial ferrite, nominally 2KW devices, and two of this style coax balun destroyed, with "only" 700W key down and 1:2.5 SWR. Of course, the same kind of trouble may take place in the so called "bazooka", 4:1 coax transformer/balun, typically used with folded dipoles.

73 and Merry Christmas

Mauri, I4JMY