Re: Topband: DX window

To: "jbattin" <jbattin@msn.com>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: DX window
From: Jon Zaimes AA1K <jz73@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 02:39:15 -0500
There's nothing in the CQ contest rules about not CQing in the "window."  They
just say it should be used for intercontinental QSOs only:
http://cq-amateur-radio.com/160%20Contest%20Rules%202004%20111503.pdf

There's nothing in the ARRL contest rules about not CQing in the "window." They
just say it should be used for intercontinental QSOs only:
http://www.arrl.org/contests/rules/2003/160-Meters.html

If no one called CQ, how would anyone make any contacts?

For stations on other continents, W/VE is the DX! So why shouldn't we CQ here
too to attact DX (but not answer any domestic calls nor North American DX, to
abide by the rules). The Europeans who are elbow-to-elbow CQing in the "window"
somehow are able to hear all the U.S. stations calling THEM, so what is the
point of having a window? They could be doing this anywhere in the band.

I personally feel a "window" is a waste of space and should be eliminated. The
"state of the art" -- improved receivers, transmitters, and antennas -- makes
transceive operation the most practical and spectrum-efficient use of the band.

Very few of my DX contacts in contests in recent years have been made in the
"DX Window."  But I still seem to work quite a bit of DX -- including things in
the Pacific right through W5/W6/W7/W8/W9/W0 QRM.

I'd rather have that 5 kHz to help everyone spread out just a wee bit more to
alleviate the general QRM.

73 and HNY,
Jon AA1K