Topband: dx

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: dx
From: W7lr@aol.com
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 15:59:15 EST
In spite of a bad cold I stayed up on 31 December to see if 160m would be
anything like what was reported for the previous evening which I had missed.
Apparently it was not quite a good as on the 30th.  I started hearing European
stations about 0500z - the first time this season.  Worked HB9ATA at 0503z.  In
all I heard 7 European stations, one qso, 3 spotted that I did not hear.
Werner takes the cake for the best ears - on the others I got either a qrz? or
nothing. A temporary 500' Beverage in our front horse pastures (full of snow
now)
helped the rx, and low noise.  On the tx side I cant improve over 1.5 kw, a
90' top loaded vertical and lots of radials - unless I moved to AZ or UT to
join
N7DD and N7JW who get out very well.  The auroral path this far north is a
problem but no cure for that except to do lots of listening and not as much
sleep.  73 Bob W7LR in MT.