Topband: sloper array

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: sloper array
From: "theo" <theo.bemelmans@pandora.be>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 14:58:12 +0100
Hi all, first a very happy newyear to all lowbanders,and a lot of good dx.

Here is my first question to this reflektor.
I am using since a few weeks and halfwave sloper coming down from a 85 feet
high tower,the feedpoint is just below the beams.On top of the tower is a 4
element 40 m fullsize yagi and a 5 element yagi for 20 m.
So far i am impressed by the working of this very simple antenna.The sloping
wire is sloping toward N A. ,i don't see much gain favouring into this
direction,it works as well into the east  (vk3io,hl3iua, ja and so can be
worked well.).At ground level i have about 50 radials of different length
laying on the ground but not connected to the towerfoot.

Now here is my question, i am planning to put anohter sloper into the
east,installed the same way as the west one.
Is this a good effort,will i gain into the east and what whith the west sloper
?In different articles i read that a halfwave sloper is sometimes difficult to
get in resonance, i find no problems in doiing this (probaly because of enough
toploading on the tower), i read further also that it gains about 3 to 6db into
the sloping direction,which i don't see,certainly not that much.

In fact to make a long story short i am looking for a way to gain in different
directions, has someone experience with halfwave sloper in lets say 4
directions ?

ON4AEK
Theo