Topband: Using DSP Software

To: "Charles W. Shaw" <chas.shaw@verizon.net>
Subject: Topband: Using DSP Software
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 17:54:43 -0400
Last week I sent S9SS a .wav file of his booming signal into North America on topband. I tried to put myself in his shoes with the awesome QRN level he experiences. On the tape were periods of very high QRN at my end and I wanted to clean up the files that I sent him a bit. I had a 30 free evaluation copy of Cool Edit and began playing around with the digital noise reduction features and audio peak and notch features. I was absolutely amazed at what could be done with the signal in noise using this over the counter software. I sent Charles two .wav files of his signal. One was in noise without processing and the other sounded like he was coming out of a code practice oscillator! Also I download the free version of Virtos Software ( a German Company) "De-Clicker" and "De- Noiser" which can be run with either Cool Edit or Sound Forge audio processing software. (Sound Forge is available on e-Bay for under $10 and can be used in the same manner as Cool Edit or Cool Edit Pro. Syntillium (Cool Edit) was recently purchased by Adobe so the price has increased significantly.) With "De Clicker" key click are gone without the roofing and pumping problem my IF NB gives. The "De Noiser" eliminates most random noise such as QRN that it makes me wonder if I am listening to 160 meters which always has static crashes at my QTH.

I have not heard any discussion of the feasibility of running two sound cards and achieving "real time" processor with using the ham shack computer. Indeed I could record and playback a processed signal and dig the call out in less than a half minute. But that time lag would not be feasible in a pile up or during contests.

So you already know my question, right. Do you know of any audio processing software that will do a relative real time presentation? The preliminary tests with the simple stuff that I have are very exciting. Additionally I will send you the two 750KB .wav files of Charles so you can hear the awesome difference. Perhaps someone would be willing to put them on an amateur web site so I would only need to send out the link. Just let me know.

BTW SGC offers a stand alone post audio amp DSP that was reviewed in QST last month. It did not seem very versatile and the reviewer said "that using the noise reduction feature caused the signal to disappear in the noise." My ear does better than that. Is there a future in considering using the shack PC and inexpensive sound processing software to enhance weak signal in high static noise reception on top band?

73

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ