RE: Topband: DC Motor for turning Capacitor?

To: "Pat Chiles" <chilesp@adelphia.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: Topband: DC Motor for turning Capacitor?
From: "Bob Tellefsen" <n6wg@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 15:26:57 -0800
Hi Pat
I bought a 12v dc motor with reduction gearing from Jameco.
It was about $20 as I recall.  It can run on down to around
5 or 6 volts, just slower.  Makes a nice way to fine adjust
your tuning.  Get near quick on 12v, then switch in a series
resistor to slow down the motor to get right on.  The reduction
gear has an output shaft of .25 inch diameter, just right
for a flexible coupling to a tuning cap.
My unit's spec is 4.5 rpm, which is just perfect for tuning
the series cap on my 160m top loaded vertical.
73, Bob N6WG