Topband: Transceiver Key Clicks

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Transceiver Key Clicks
From: "Thomas Kuehl" <ac7a@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 18:21:04 -0700
Hi,

I've been viewing on line the February 2004, QST review of the Elecraft
K2/100 transceiver. It is available on the ARRL members site. The article
shows an oscilloscope image of the keying waveform with the transceiver
operating at 100W output. It appears to me that the edges are quite fast. I
would estimate the rising edge is about 3ms, or less; while the falling edge
appears to be even faster.

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the K2/100 keying characteristics
and whether it has a click problem? I am also interested in the Ten-Tec Omni
VI+ keying and whether it has a click issue, or not?

I've sold my trusty Omni-V after nearly 13 years and I am looking at
replacing it with either a K2/100, or an Omni-VI+. I don't want to be one of
the key click "bad guys" on the band. I would be willing to make a
reasonable mod to correct a click issue.

Thanks for your help.

Regards, Thomas - AC7A (Tucson)