Re: Topband: Beverage Noise pickup

To: gm3poi@btinternet.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage Noise pickup
From: K8LV1@aol.com
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 11:48:28 EST
Clive:
       The best way to decide if the TX antenna is "re-transmitting" noise
into the RX antenna, just try opening and shorting the TX feedline while
listening to the noise on the RX antenna. Changing the termination on the TX
antenna
drastically affects its performance, both on TX and RX fields. With an open
termination, your TX antenna is nothing more than a non-resonant conductive
scatterer of incident fields.

       When I tried this, I heard virtually no difference. This proves that
the suppossed "re-transmission" effect (which is really nothing more than EM
scattering) is not occurring.

       Also, when you try the test that you propose, the fields incident on
the RX antenna also contain a huge component of a non-radiation field, the near
field of the TX antenna. I believe they would grossly distort the test and
give a greatly pessimistic "coupling coefficient".

73
Eric von Valtier K8LV