Topband: Re:Notes on early JA to East Coast QSO's (W9UCW)

To: Topband@Contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Re:Notes on early JA to East Coast QSO's (W9UCW)
From: W9UCW@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 22:38:55 EST
<Does anyone else have interesting info to share on this subject?

<73, John W1FV

 Hi John,
Although it wasn't as tough as the East Coast had it, I remember  how hard it
was to work the JA's in the early 70's from Northern Illinois. It seemed
impossible at first.
The big shock for me came when we moved down to the Lower Rio Grande Valley,
14 years ago, as far as JA QSO's. We're right in the middle of the US, at the
same latitude as Ft. Lauderdale. Yet, I can usually work JA's every month of
the year. So far, I've logged 136 different JA calls from here, many of them 20
times. I just use 500 watts and a horizontal full wave loop. Guess getting
away from that dreaded auroral oval has a real benefit.

73's, Barry