Topband: keyclick mod 1000mp - echo on audio

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: keyclick mod 1000mp - echo on audio
From: "Mark Demeuleneere" <on4ww@pandora.be>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 22:54:41 +0100
In order to avoid keyclick comments during cq160, I modified last night my
(straight) 1000mp, according to values used by N1EU (modified Inrad
modification) :

100nF on RF board, 47nF with 235kOhm resistor on IF board.
The result is disappointing, tests with on4ma/on4un/on5tn showed that no
improvement was done, on the contrary. After doing the mod, and listening on
my ts940s, I already thought it was no good (keyclicks wider range than
before).

Next week when more time, I will do Tom's mod.

I didn't use ceramic disc capacitors, but small knob polyester type ones.

A strange side effect is that the CW signal as heard by the above mentionned
local hams (+- 10 to 20km away), has a lot of echo on it. Has anyone noticed
this before, any explanation to this ?

My on-and-off faithful LK-800 gave up his arms today; thanks to on4ma and
his backup Commander amp, I'll be able to play in the contest. Don't shoot
me for any possible keyclicks, no need to post it on the dx-clusters either
(some people just love to post those comments nowadays, rather than posting
dx stations).

Have all fun this weekend, and let those old memory (JA) stories come, u
keep us newcomers drooling...just love to read stuff like that !

73 - Mark

Stories and pictures on ON4WW's travels are on the following URLs :
http://www.qsl.net/on4ww and http://users.pandora.be/on4ww