Topband: DX Last Evening (0630 to 0730 UTC 26 Jan 04)

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: DX Last Evening (0630 to 0730 UTC 26 Jan 04)
From: "Dick and Adele Bingham" <binghamstehekin@starband.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 10:23:51 -0800
Greetings from snowy Northern Central Washington State

Listening on 160M last evening was quite exciting for me.
I heard my first Europeans:

 UTC 26 January 2004

 0615  DF2PY
 0635  DJ1MI (maybe DJ7MI - can't read my scribbling)
          DL9KR

 0727 EA8BH called him but no contact

I did work V31YN (H349 M559 at 100watts).

The antenna is a Half-Square with the top at ~90-feet
and the end-wires slope toward ground to the East.
It is fed at one end against a single ground rod.

I have no idea of the direction from which the EU-sig
propagation arrived but suspect it was not direct path.
Direct path toward EU for me requires a TOA of 60-
degrees or more.

Did anyone else here in the NW hear the EU stations
and, if so, do you know the direction of propagation?
Maybe there is _hope_ for EU-QSO's from my QTH.
Now, to figure out what direction to install some
beverage antennas is my next task!

Thankfully, my QTH is stone-dead noise-wise except for
propagated noise otherwise I would never have heard the
EU's.

73 Dick - W7WKR CN98pi
Stehekin, WA