Re: Topband: Keying waveform

To: "Mark Beckwith" <mark@concertart.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Keying waveform
From: "K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 10:30:02 -0600
Mark and all,

This waveform is, as Tom notes, a classic example of shaping with an R-C
time constant.  The leading edge will not likely cause clicks, but at the
turn-off point on the trailing edge the corner can be pretty sharp -- and
cause serious clicks.

Late in the past weekend's contest when CW speeds slowed down, it was easy
to analyze clicks.  Most radios with clicks seem to have them at both
transitions, but a few were only on the trailing edge.  Subjectively, I find
bad trailing edge clicks to be the worst -- There are so many common events
with a hard attack followed by a decay (e.g. ringing bells) that this
"reverse" pattern is particularly annoying.

73, Gary
K9AY