Topband: CQ 160M Contest, etc.

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: CQ 160M Contest, etc.
From: charles Lewis <s9ss160m@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 01:28:18 -0800 (PST)
I dabbled a bit doing S&P in the contest last weekend.
 I worked a fair number of Europeans, but by 0130 UTC
each night I had heard no NA stations at all. Both
nights my noise had increased so much by that time
that I gave up on it and hit the hay. I had pretty
good luck making the Europeans hear me through all the
QRM. I think only one failed to respond to my call.

I have enjoyed reading all the walks down memory lane.
 I was not really into 160 M seriously at all until my
S92SS days.  My best DX on the band before that was a
CW contact from North Carolina to Minnesota around
1968.  What made that contact memorable was the
antenna.  I had a Master Mobile 80 M heliwhip with a
broken mount.  I stood it in the corner of the shack
indoors.  To bring it to resonance on 160 M, I added a
piece of B&W miniductor in series with a variable
capacitor I had salvaged from a junked AM table radio.
My rig was a Johnson Viking I, a Heathkit VF-1 VFO,
and a Hallicrafters S-76. The ground was the house
water  pipes.  I loaded the Viking to 50 watts and
called CQ just a bit after my local sunset.  I was
astounded when the station in Minnesota responded with
a 579 signal report.  I don't doubt that coupling into
the electrical wiring of the house was contributing to
my radiation, because the incandescent bulb in the
light fixture over my head would brighten noticeably
when I closed the key.

When I was a teenager, I made some daytime contacts on
160 AM with K4LWR who lived about 30 miles from me.
My antenna - I ran a wire up to the tin roof of the
small house I grew up in.  The old Viking-1 had no
problem finding a match.  The ground then was pipe
driven into the ground not more than 4'.

I am still looking for NA on Friday and Saturday
nights.  Any time the QRN appears to be low enough for
there to be any hope of hearing anyone, I make the
effort.  I have worked many Europeans, but I have had
no luck at all hearing NA since December.

If anyone has any interest in seeing pictures of the
IBB (VOA) Sao Tome Transmitting Station facilities
where I live, I have a collection of photographs in an
album at http://groups.msn.com/s9ss .

73,
Charles - S9SS