Topband: Logbook of the World

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Logbook of the World
From: "Ford Peterson" <ford@cmgate.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 23:07:48 -0600
For those unfamiliar with the ARRL's free logbook backup service, check out the
information at the ARRL's website:

http://www.arrl.org/lotw/

The service is free to all and will result in being able to confirm countries
for DXCC credit.

There are a substantial number of DX stations that monitor this Topband
reflector.  It is, after all, the repository of all knowledge about Topband.
I'm curious to know how many have taken the time to upload their logs to
Logbook of the World.  If not, do they intend to upload logs.

Of my 18,819 QSOs uploaded to LOTW, a total of 1,868 matches can be found.
That's a remarkable 10%.  Closer examination indicates that of the 1,868
matches, only 131 unique DX callsigns are included.  Needless to say, only 10
of the 68 countries I've worked can be confirmed on 160M using this method,
which is disappointing.

My station log shows 268 countries worked and 245 confirmed the old fashioned
way.  LOTW shows a total of 64 countries confirmed on all bands mixed modes.
The lack of participation on the part of DX is disappointing.

I'd like to take a simple poll.  Of the DX stations monitoring Topband:
1) Have you uploaded your log to LOTW?
2) Do you intend to upload your log?
3) If no to both questions, is there a reason why?

Send me an email N0FP@ARRL.NET and I'll summarize the results here in a few
days.

Thanks

Ford-N0FP