Re: Topband: Another European Opening Last Night

To: "Dick and Adele Bingham" <binghamstehekin@starband.net>,<topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Another European Opening Last Night
From: "Brad Rehm" <brehm@ptitest.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 18:01:29 -0600
"I have started looking around for an old low power (<5KW) AM
transmitter to
mod for 160. Without the modulator section, the RF-deck could become a
robust rig at
1.5KW.

"Would such a project be more expensive/trouble than it is worth?
Should I,
instead, spend $$$ on a new modern 160-meter 2KW amplifier? I do have
a SB-220 worthy of
mods."

73 - Dick/w7wkr

Dick,

Do you live so far north that you'd want to use the extra heat to warm
your shack?  Do you have room in your shack for such an animal?

My preference would be to go to work on the SB-220.  You should be
able to make it into a dandy top-band amp.  And the effort required
should be much less than would be needed to move a commercial AM rig
in and modify it.

On the other hand, I'm in the process of building an amp from scratch,
& I'm having a ball.  With all the nice commercial amps around, this
doesn't make sense.  But it's fun.  Do what pleases you.

73,
Brad, KV5V