Re: Topband: More clicks with QSK?

To: <k1htv@verizon.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: More clicks with QSK?
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 20:01:24 -0500
> frequently run break-in operation with the TS850, especially in contests
> and DX pileups.  Since the T-R relay follows every dot and dash, shouldn't
> this result in more key clicks?  Or is the TS850, and possibly other
radios,
> designed so well that these dot/dash events don't produce undesirable
> key clicks?

There are a few radios that sequence incorrectly. That may or may not damage
a diode or relay. The best way to tell is to listen off frequency or look at
it with a scope.

Relays, if properly timed so the input opens first and closes last, can
actually withstand repetitious "hotswitching" without many problems.

I can run a steady carrier and close and open the relays on any of my amps
over and over again without problems. I'm sure those clicks are pretty
nasty, since the broadband energy is so high a peak reading SWR detector
after the amplifier output goes up to 2:1 SWR or higher from out of band
"clicks" exciting the antenna!!

Even my PIN diode switched 1500W SS amp doesn't seem to mind opening and
closing under full drive, but it has beefy PIN diodes in the bypass line.
The Ameritron PIN switch will lose a fuse lamp or RX diode, but that's
because the RX diodes aren't designed to pass feedthrough power.

73 Tom