Topband: Modified AM broadcast rigs

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Modified AM broadcast rigs
From: "Donald Chester" <k4kyv@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 20:00:31 +0000

"I have started looking around for an old low power (<5KW) AM transmitter to mod for 160.

Should I,
instead, spend $$$ on a new modern 160-meter 2KW amplifier? I do have
a SB-220 worthy of
mods."

Do you live so far north that you'd want to use the extra heat to warm
your shack?  Do you have room in your shack for such an animal?

My preference would be to go to work on the SB-220. . . the effort required
should be much less than would be needed to move a commercial AM rig
in and modify it.

With all the nice commercial amps around, this
doesn't make sense. But it's fun. Do what pleases you.

To me, that's what ham radio is all about. With nearly all the 250 to 1000 watt AM broadcast stations converting over to solid state transmitters (mainly because of the utility cost savings with the more efficient design), older tube type transmitters have become an industrial surplus item. They can be had at little or no cost, often for simply going to the trouble of moving them off the premises. I have picked up three transmitters within a radius of 25 miles during the last 8 years or so, in return for some hard physical work but without paying a penny. My latest acquisition is a Gates BC1-T that was given to me this summer if I agreed to move all of it out of the transmitter building (including the spare transformers they had lying around). The others I parted out, but this one I have converted to 160 and right now it is operational on 1980.7 kHz AM. Next step is to modify the xtal oscillator so I can run it with my VFO. Modifications to allow cw operation are in the planning stage. So far signal reports are good regarding quality and cleanliness of the signal. My most recent modification was to rework the control system so that the noisy 220 volt a.c. relays run on DC, which has quieted them down from sounding like a chainsaw to complete silence.

Possibilities range from simply retuning the stock rigs to 160, rebuilding the rf section for multiband operation, to completely stripping them down and using the parts for building a homebrew rig from scratch. This may not be as quick and easy as buying the latest commercial miracle whizz, but it will probably be substantially cheaper. With today's scarcity of high power transmitting components, do we want to allow all those big tubes, transformers, capacitors, etc. to go to the landfill? And, you might learn something about radio in the process. Don't let's forget, that is one of the remaining justifications radio amateurs can claim for the spectrum we are licensed to occupy.

Don k4kyv