RE: Topband: Strange conditions Sunday night (Monday too)

To: "Robert Marshall-Read" <rmread@starhub.com>, <K8LV1@aol.com>,<topband@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: Topband: Strange conditions Sunday night (Monday too)
From: "R" <wb6tza@socal.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 18:13:16 -0800
You are experiencing exactly what we did for a month at XZ0A.  In
the first 90 minutes after sunset, there are no signals on low
angle receive antennas, and everything shows up in a low dipole.
It is interesting that you observe this phenomenon in the middle
of your night at European sunset.  It leads to a curiosity to
learn if a high efficiency NVIS transmit antenna would enter this
"vertical" path, and perhaps produce something closer to
reciprocal propagation.  It would be interesting to learn if this
path to Europe is to all of Europe or only high latitude
stations.  I do not recall any "weighting" to what region of EU I
heard first, other than who was in dark, and that of course loads
the data toward high latitudes.

For LP to NE USA, it cannot be real great circle long path, of
course, because significant portions of that path are in hard
daylight.  Never the less, the signals from XZ0A all appeared out
of the southwest to stations in Texas and east, and they could
only be heard in our low dipole.  It sounds like you are
experiencing the same propagation modes.   I am curious if the
eastern USA stations are hearing you from south of west.

Low dipole receive antennas need to become a staple for the
DXpeditions receive arsenal on topband.  I certainly will build
one as a primary needed Rx antenna-  I even put up one and used
it effectively at ZA this fall.

Non Reciprocal and Skew paths ARE real!

Robin, WA6CDR/XZ0A