RE: Topband: Invisable Fence Issues

To: "'KQ8RP'" <kq8rp@gordonsweb.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: Topband: Invisable Fence Issues
From: "James Wolf" <jbwolf@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 09:49:28 -0500
Scott,

I had this problem sometime back.  I borrowed the neighbors fence generator
and found that pulse was a 15 kHz square wave at around 30 volts.
What you want to do is round off the square wave to lower the harmonics.
I added a small series resistance to buffer the output device, series
ferrite beads and some capacitance to ground just before the output
terminals.  It rolled off the higher frequencies enough that it was no
longer noticable in the radio on 160.  Can't tell you the values, it's been
15 years ago, but you should use a scope at any rate.
It made a very slight difference on the "width" of the effective fence.

James Wolf, KR9U