Re: Topband: AGC (and now other work)

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: AGC (and now other work)
From: rwmcgwier@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 22:08:25 +0000
Doug:

Thank you for your note.  I am having as much fun in amateur radio now as I
have ever had.  I hope my fun turns out to be useful.

The SDR-1000 is a beautiful thing and SDR technology is here to stay.  No
manufacturer can afford to do this any other way eventually.  I am happy that
the SDR-1000 is available to me as an experimental development platform.  It
will change pretty drastically between now and Dayton where new software and
hardware add-ons will be rolled out.  At Dayton, Gerald will be giving the
definitive numbers on receiver measurements.  This has been held up by six
months of attempting to make Visual Basic 6 join the modern world.  That has
failed, been abandoned,  and since new tools have been brought to bear, we have
made more progress in three weeks than the prior six months!  One of
the hardware add-ons needs discussion.  He is adding a fourth which fixes the
only serious hardware design fault and also allows connection to a 2 meter
transverter and adds much much better amateur band filtering on both transmit
and receive.  I am looking forward to getting it.

I have no business affiliation with Gerald or Flex-Radio other than being a
happy customer and avid contributor to the software defined radio software
project.  I hope it all continues at the pace it has been going, it sure is
keeping me excited about going to work every day!  My boss is actually paying
me to do development on SDR and to work on adapting this technology for our
use.  I just could not be happier.

Bob
N4HY