Re: Topband: XMT and RCV antenna questions

To: David J Rodman MD <rodman@buffalo.edu>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: XMT and RCV antenna questions
From: Jon Zaimes AA1K <jz73@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 12:05:44 -0500
Hi Dave,

That loop should be a killer. I remember K2BU in New Jersey had one a few years
ago at a height similar to yours and fed the same way and it equaled or beat my
100-ft shunt fed tower with 200 radials at the time.

There will be a null in the direction of the feedpoint -- so if that is toward
Europe and you're trying to work Europe, that could be the problem.

Or you may have some interaction with the towers or other antennas. See
www.w8ji.com   for ideas on detuning towers.

With the height you have available, a half-wave sloper also should be
effective. The tower may act as a reflector -- or could be tuned to do so. You
could have one to the NE and one to the SW. Or the loop could be used as a
reflector with the sloper as the driven element in a 2-el. array (W2GD has done
something similar at his contest site in New Jersey, although off a higher
tower). You also could hang a wire 4-square off the tower -- see ON4UN's book
Low Band DX'ing for several variations of this.

Lengthening the Beverage should be a slight improvement (see w8ji.com for some
comparitive numbers). And the Beverages are almost always better than small
alternatives, in my experience. Going to phased Beverages offers a significant
improvement. I have a pair of 465-foot stagger-phased Beverages (spaced 33
feet) that generally equal performance of a single 880-foot Beverage in the
same direction. Other factors such as distance from noise sources (such as
power lines and houses) and interaction with the towers may play more of a role
in performance than lengthening the wire a couple of hundred feet.

BTW what's your call?

73/Jon AA1K