Re: Topband: FEEDING AN END-FED LONGWIRE

To: <K8LV1@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: FEEDING AN END-FED LONGWIRE
From: "JOSE MATA EA3VY" <ea3vy@tinet.org>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 19:31:36 +0100
From: <K8LV1@aol.com>
To: <w8yv@chartermi.net>
Cc: <topband@contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 8:19 AM

> Rich:
>        Your antenna is really a vertical (the feedline) with a horizontal
> section on top that some regard as 'top loading'. There is no point in
running a
> coax up to the wire. Just feed the one-wire feedline using the best ground
you
> can conjure as a vertical approximately equal to the feedline length.
>        The so-called end feed is an old myth that has been around forever
Eric:
      Maybe the end fed antenna is an old myth.
 I have a 32m tall tower located in one of the corners of my property over
very bad ground,17 m of fossile sand.
No possibility to improve the situation with a decent radial system.
 In 1980 I put a sloping half wave wire between the top of the tower and a
tree that a good neighbor has at 320º of my tower.
 I fed this wire " a la zepp" as we said in old times. Or to be more precise
I ran an open 15 cm transmission line from the top of the tower to ground,
one of the wires feeding the antenna and the other left open.
 At ground I put a coil between both ends of the line and adjusted the
number of turns until I found system was resonant at my favorite frequency.
  Then the shield of the coax is attached to the center turn of the coil and
center wire of the coax is taped on the turn of the coil that minimizes SWR.
I allways believed my antenna was an end fed antenna.
Myth or not this is my prefered antenna. Old topbanders know I am anything
else than a "country hunter" .But with this antenna in the 80s I have been
able, with the aid of old friends (thanks again Bill when you were in CO) to
complete WAS160 , not too much for USA but #3 in EU. I also have worked all
zones and more than 250 countries .But the most interesting for me is that
this antenna made me in the 80s a natural choice for west coast people that
needed EU.
No other antenna , whether the shunt fed tower or a couple of delta loops ,
Vs etc to fit my own property possibilities have been acceptable. And also
listens rather well. Sorry that I not like to listen too much !
One time I got the transmission line broken after a very windy wheather and
tested to convert the antenna to an inverted L . It works but no like the
original system  .
73s
Jose EA3VY  (No mistakes. My call sign does not end with a dot and dislike
to work crossband)
. My