Re: Topband: RG-6/CAC-6 CABLE

To: <W5USM@aol.com>, <magoo@isp.ca>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: RG-6/CAC-6 CABLE
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 17:23:45 -0500
> This can certainly be done, but one can use a so-called barrel connector
> between the normal connectors with a piece of "heat shrink" over the
entire
> connection, then direct bury.

I did engineering for a CATV/MATV system owner years ago, and we used mostly
F6 drops. F11 (RG-11 size) was used mostly in attics or for small length
distribution lines. We almost never used F59 (RG59) cables.

Quad shield doesn't buy you anything, but the flooding is important. We
buried splices but always used a self-sealing heatshrink. That's a shrink
with internal sealer that is actually like a glue.

Myself, I don't ever seal or shrink the connections because if there is a
lightning strike that is the first place to fail. To be honest, I just slap
a little non-hardening silicon grease on the threads if I have some handy.
Despite taking such little care, I virtually never have a splice problem
caused by moisture even when I just lay the cable on the ground.

73 Tom