Re: Topband: VU2BGS

To: Tom Rauch <w8ji@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: VU2BGS
From: George Taft <W8UVZ@voyager.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 09:44:54 -0500
Hi Tom

I, too, have wondered, what might correlate to the better low band
openings.  Because of being closer to the auroral oval here in MI, we
feel lower A indices are generally better for paths that normally pass
thru the northern auroral area.

So we get really excited when the A index is 10 or below.  Especially,
if the geomagnetic field is quiet with the K index also low.

In this current period of lower A and K indices, I was finally able to
work Bob, 9V1GO in Michigan on top band- something I've been working on
for months.

But as you point out, those kind of condx don't always produce the best
openings to northern/southern hemispheric areas.  Bob (not Greg, hi)
VK3ZL was fair copy but not exceptional here in MI.

BTW for those considering the "Top Band Gathering" dinner at Dayton,
Carl, K9LA will be discussing this very topic of low band propagation
and possible correlation, in a short presentation and Q & A session.
Plenty of seats left for those who might like to attend.

73  George W8UVZ