Topband: verticals and rope

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: verticals and rope
From: Larry Molitor <w7iuv@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 01:10:05 +0000
Quite a few replies were received both directly and on the list offering comments and suggestions regarding my problem with guy ropes and the tubing vertical. It would seem that a little more info is in order.

Before I built this vertical I didn't belive you could put up a 90 foot tube without a crane. After a lot of encouragement and coaching from W7LR and N6RK last year, I went and did it! Rick has an excellent "how to" on his web page at:

http://www.n6rk.com

My vertical is similar to his with some differences due to locally available materials. I used 40 feet of 4 inch diameter 0.070 wall tube for the bottom, spliced to 30 feet of 4 inch 0.050 tube. The top 20 feet is 3 inch 0.050 wall tube. Guy points are approximately 22 feet, 43 feet, 65 feet and the top. I used compression type clamps for the attachment points so that I could adjust the actual location of the guys to reduce mechanical resonances. When I get time, I'll put photos up on the web page.

I first erected the thing using baling twine for the guys. Twine is very strong and very, very cheap. This allowed my to cheaply cut and try the actual guy lengths without breaking the bank. After I had it figured out I replaced all but the top guy (still was adjusting the top hat!) with "antenna rope".

The rope I purchased from Davis RF. It was labeled "dacron rope" on their web page. The spool was marked "Double Braided Polyester". I later found out that "Dacron" is a polyester polymer fiber manufactured by DuPont for use in many different applications. It would seem that some people use the term "dacron" to describe rope made from polyester fiber from other manufacturers.

Don't confuse polyester with polyethylene or polypropylene. These materials are not suitable for this application.

Some suggested "Phillystran". Phillystran is the name of a company which manufacturers many different kinds of rope. I assume they meant the type with Kevlar in it's construction. Some suggested Kevlar. But Kevlar will deteriorate in direct sunlight, so it's normally wrapped with, guess what, polyester! The high cost of this material will prevent it's use at this QTH!

I used 1/8 inch rope. I calculated that it would be well within it's break limits but I neglected to allow for stretch vs. stress. OH2BO hit the nail on the head when he suggested the rope must be well oversized to prevent stretch problems.

I will try again with 3/16 diameter rope (dacron/polyester) but it is available in both double weave and single weave. Any ideas which would be better?

The permanent top load wires will be stainless steel aircraft cable AFTER I figure out how long they need to be.

73,

Larry - W7IUV