Topband: Elevated K9AY Loop

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Elevated K9AY Loop
From: "K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 22:52:52 -0600
Topbanders,

I just received a note from 4F2KWT (via WX0B) -- although it was a testimonial
that his new K9AY loop was working well, an important technical note was also
included.

Gil is using a single loop (reversible) mounted at the TOP of a 40-foot tower.
The wire is supported by old quad spreaders and mounted ABOVE his multiband
beam. He reports that F/B is typically S9-to-S1 -- very good, although most
S-meters are 'generous' in this range.

Modeling suggests that an elevated loop will work just fine, but I never had
time to do that experiment -- many thanks to Gil for confirming that this is a
viable way to install a K9AY Loop. I have heard many concerns about deer,
pedestrians, mowing, etc. (deer knocked down my own loops twice this winter);
now I can more confidently suggest raising the antenna.

Hopefully, I'll get someone to install an elevated loop on a small lot --
getting it above problems like house wiring, aluminum siding,
wire-mesh-reinforced stucco, etc. should help the performance.

73, Gary
K9AY