RE: Topband: 3B9C to KA6W

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: Topband: 3B9C to KA6W
From: "John Kaufmann" <jkaufmann@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 21:45:23 -0500
Bill Tippett wrote:

> Being near the antipode may be one of the few cases where
> being farther away from a DX station may actually be better
> for propagation on Topband!

This does seem to be true, too, from New England.  Western Australia (VK6)
is almost antipodal to my QTH in eastern MA.  VK6HD and VK6VZ are sometimes
remarkably strong on short path around our local sunrisem.  In fact they are
generally stronger and more consistent than the signals from eastern
Australia which is geographically closer.  On long path I have worked VK6HD
at local sunset with no more than a few minutes of darkness overlap and
heard VK6VZ on this path a number of times.  Of course, short path and long
path converge on being the same thing when the path is between antipodal
points.

73, John W1FV