Re: Re: Topband: Long Path Direction!]

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Re: Topband: Long Path Direction!]
From: "CHARLES HUTTON" <charlesh3@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 19:56:57 +0000
Tom:

A season long study of direction finding on Boston reception of MW stations from Europe, Asia and Africa was once done by an ex-MIT'er using 4' air core loops.

The results of those hundreds and hundreds of DF's were compared against the known locations of the transmitters. I can not recall whether outliers (skewed path signals generally resulting from proximity to the auroral zone) were discarded. The result was that the DF angle had an angle error of less than ten degrees. The MW stations ranged from 529 - 1602 kHz, so at 160 YMMV somewhat.

Evidence that is more anecdotal: most MW DX'ers use loop antennas (carefully balanced large air core and also ferrite) of some sort for domestic reception. While I know of no formal data analysis, I'd say the expectation is almost always that DF'ing is at least good enough to get you within 30 degrees. I suspect the real limit is that few loops have the physical method to give a readout of angles; most people just turn the loop and guess as they don't care what the exactreal angle is.

Chuck