Re: Re: Topband: Long Path Direction!]

To: "CHARLES HUTTON" <charlesh3@msn.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Topband: Long Path Direction!]
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 20:46:56 -0500
Hi Chuck,

> A season long study of direction finding on Boston reception of MW
stations
> from Europe, Asia and Africa was once done by an ex-MIT'er using 4' air
core
> loops.

The fact there was a study doesn't prove the instrumentation worked or will
work in this application.

You may find a few articles describing how accurate a loop is for DF'ing
skywave signals, but you won't find very many (if any) DF systems that
require reliable accurate DF'ing of skywave signals that use single loops.

Of course another problem is we won't hear the weak signals anyway on a
single loop, because the directivity is extremely poor and S/N ratio will be
pathetic compared to even a modest directivity Beverage.

I went all through this stuff in the 70's when trying to null LORAN on 160.

73 Tom