Re: Topband: SteppIR for Tophat?

To: dl1iaq@gdxf.de, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: SteppIR for Tophat?
From: Earl W Cunningham <k6se@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 12:47:00 -0700
Martin, DL1IAQ wrote:

"would a 3 or 4 element SteppIR yagi make a good tophat for a shuntfed
tower?"
==========
I've been wondering the same thing myself.  It depends on if the centers
of the parasitic elements are grounded to the boom or not.

In either case, for maximum top loading the SteppIR antenna would have to
be set for its lowest frequency.

SteppIR will be at the DX convention in Visalia and I intend to ask them
about this.  I'll post their response when I find out.

A friend uses a roof-mounted SteppIR vertical for 40-10m with three
radials for each band and works lots of DX with it but unfortunately they
don't have a model to cover 80 and 160m.

73, de Earl, K6SE